The Water Industry Skills Taskforce (WIST) was established in 2008 to promote and oversee a nationally coordinated effort to address the skills shortage in the water sector. The WIST was originally led and administered by AWA. In early 2015, qldwater (The Queensland Water Directorate) took over the secretariat function for a period of 12 months.
WIST, through the Australian Water Association, has historically overseen a number of key initiatives, including those focussing on careers marketing, industry mentoring and industry. The National Framework for Certification of Drinking Water Operators has recently been the major ongoing focus for the WIST.
The Taskforce comprises CEO-level representation from the water industry and related education and government sectors. Current members of the Water Industry Skills Taskforce are:
- The Queensland Water Directorate (Dave Cameron)
- The Australian Water Association (Jonathan McKeown, Nicola Helme)
- Government Skills Australia (Peter Bernich)
- Australian Services Union (John Harris)
- GHD (Chris Hertle)
- Coliban Water (David Sheehan)
- VicWater, Coliban Water (Jeff Rigby)
- The Water Services Association of Australia (Adam Lovell, Peter Gee)
- The International Water Centre (Mark Pascoe)
- The Water Industry Operators Association of Australia (George Wall)
- The NSW Water Directorate (Gary Mitchell)
WIST met on 15 April 2016 to approve a number of amendments to the Proposed National Certification Framework 2012 (Operators within Drinking Water Systems), formally appoint a Certifying Body, and consider Chair and Secretariat roles.
For more information contact Dave Cameron.
Documents for download
Water Industry Skills Taskforce Communique – April 2016
Certification Framework 2016 - Operators within Drinking Water Treatment Systems
WIST Communique June 2015
NWC Submission from WIST – December 2013
WIST Communique – June 2013
National Certification Framework Background and Options Paper NWC – Feb 2013
National Certification Framework Final Report – March 2012
Proposed National Certification Framework – March 2012
Water Industry Skills Forum Report – Jan 2013
National Water Skills Strategy Business Plan Review – Feb 2012
AWA National Water Skills Audit Report – 2011
National Water Skills Business Plan - Oct 2010
National Water Skills Strategy - Dec 2009
Water Skills Audit - June 2008