A Snapshot of Current Issues, Trends and Challenges
Water Industry 101 is an introduction to the water sector - the supplier of clean, safe drinking water, the operator of sewerage systems that take away our waste, and manage stormwater collection, treatment and reuse. People working in the water industry ensure that these essential services are always available, that disease threats are controlled, and best use is made of the resource.
This course will appeal to:
- Graduates and prospective students of science and engineering interested in training for future employment.
- Professionals and others considering a career change.
- Current employees in the water sector who would like to know more about the industry they work in.
- Members of the public keen to know more about water.
Course Structure and Content:
- The Australian Urban Water Sector: An Overview - Tom Mollenkopf
- The Global Water Scene – Chris Davis
- The Australian Context – Erin Cini
- Players in the Australian Water Sector – Clare Porter
- History of Water Management in Australia – Erin Cini
- Where is Water Used? - Clare Porter
- How is Water Managed / Treated? – Diane Wiesner
- Water Quality – Diane Wiesner
(Each lecture in this series is approximately 30-45 minutes long)
What is an Online Training Program?
An Online Training Program is a series of lectures delivered over the web, available at any time and any place, for self-paced learning of specific content. Students gain access to lectures in the format of voice-over Powerpoints, further reading lists and the opportunity to email queries to the lecturer.
Minimum Technical Requirements
PC, MacIntosh, desk or laptop computer, standard broadband connection, FLASH (essential) and Java enabled (if available). A compatibility check facility will be provided so potential attendees can test their equipment suitability prior to enrolment.
* To receive the discounted student rate you must send a copy of your student card to AWA.
The concept and materials for Water Industry 101 originated from a face-to-face short course developed by ICE WaRM in partnership with AWA, under the title Australian Water Industry Essentials. AWA sincerely thanks ICE WaRM for their considerable contribution.